This is the true story and recorded exploits of 1 tennis professional turned mortician on a 2 month cross-country golf odyssey.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Idaho Falls to Denver

It was 3:30 once the round at Coeur D'Alene was complete and I was on the road to Jackson, Wyoming. The trip was to be long and tedious taking about 10 hours. Once I realized my estimated arrival time at Jackson Hole was 1:30 in the morning I knew alternated stopping plans would need to be made. I figured I would drive as far as I could and stop at the nearest large city. That city became Idaho Falls - roughly 2 hours shy of Jackson.

While I was roughly 10 minutes shy of Idaho Falls, I was startled by red and blue flashing lights in my rear view mirror. The police officer asked me where I was coming from and where I was headed.
"I had you on radar doing 88."
I knew full well that the speed limit in Idaho was 75, and I was fairly certain that I was not going 88. The way I went about letting the officer knokw this was most likely the reason for receiving a ticket.
"That's funny officer, I had the cruise control set at 85."
Admitting to a police officer that you are purposly traveling 10 miles above the speed limit is probably not a good idea. He handed me the citation, and instantly I was upset about having to sacrifce maybe 2 rounds of golf to pay for the ticket, thinking it would cost me roughly $150. He asked me to sign the bottom to acknowledge that I knew of the $62 fine for which I would be liable. My anger turned to elation then to dissappointment. $62 was nothing for doing 13 miles over the limit. Had I known the ticket would be that cheap the cruise control would have been set at 98.

The next morning in Idaho Falls I sat in my hotel room and pondered the inconsistent scores I had posted so far. I came to the conclusion that I had been playing too much and not practicing. I decided that today was going to be dedicated to practice. After packing my things, I left the room and headed to the car, only to be stopped dead in my tracks at the hotel entranceway. There in the parking lot my car sat beneath 3 inches of snow! My bewilderment kept me at the doorway for about 15 seconds before exiting the hotel to clean off my car. There was to be no practice today and I laughed at my misfortune the entire way to Denver.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home