This is the true story and recorded exploits of 1 tennis professional turned mortician on a 2 month cross-country golf odyssey.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Round #15: The Stone Canyon Club

THE GOLF:
My interest in The Stone Canyon Club in Tucson, Arizona was piqued after reading an incredible article describing the property and course layout in Executive Golfer magazine. I was elated to hear that my friend and fellow Winchesterian Jay Warren was a member there and was more than happy to get me on the course.

Stone Canyon lived up to all expectations. The clubhouse is incredible with facilities and service to rival the greatest clubs of the east. We checked in at the proshop, got a quick lunch, and headed to the range to hit a few balls before the round. The rain which plagued Tucson that morning had passed, the low clouds lifted, and the sun warmed the air to a comfortable 72 degrees for the duration of the afternoon.

Stone Canyon has, without question, the most extensive practice facilities I have encountered. The driving range, with so many different pins at which to fire and locations to fire from, warrants its own yardage guide within the course yardage book. East of the range is a chipping green. North of that is an expansive putting green. When departing the 18th green you encounter a reservation only private practice area with ample space to work on putting, chipping, and pitching without the hassle of others practicing nearby.

The first hole is tame as it shapes a dogleg left across the valley floor. The hole is not difficult, however a bogey did find its way onto my scorecard. The second hole offers a taste of what is to come later in the round. A fairway, separated by desert, lay in wait for your tee ball. My 3 wood found the right center of the fairway, which extends 300 yards beyond the tee into the desert. My tee ball left me with an option on this par 5, lay up 150 yards from my current position and hope to stiff a wedge onto the stick, or gamble with the 5 wood into the narrow target area and give myself a chance at birdie, possibly eagle. Jay recommended I lay up. I responded by stating that "I didn't put this tee shot in the middle of the fairway to lay up." My 5 wood was true and held its line. After landing short and rolling to the fringe, I was left with 30 feet for eagle. The putt rolled the entire 30 feet without breaking, but my right alignment did nothing to aid the ball into the hole. I had 1 foot remaining for birdie and did not complain.

The front nine continues rising up a hillside lined by rocks, reaching a peak at the par 3 6th hole. Named Echo Canyon in the yardage book, a more appropriate name would be Breathtaking. A waterfall has been built into the side of the rock ledge that rises above the hole. Water flows alongside the green until it reaches a pond which frames the front of the hole. The hole is short, playing 131 yards from the tees we were playing. I did not trust the yardage and hit a slow 9 iron that sailed the green and became a donation to the surrounding desert. I ended the hole with a 5. I made the turn with a 43 - not exceptional, but not horrible either.

The 10th hole contains some of the only water in play on the course. A tee shot struck straight will carry desert hazards to the left and stop short of a lake which fronts the green. This classic risk/reward par 5 entices the golfer to go for the green in 2, but demands a 245 yard carry to do so. My tee shot was perfect and I tempted fate by hitting 3 wood into the wind. My ball had the distance but not the proper path and settled right of the greenside bunker to the right of the hole. I was able to get up and down for my second birdie of the day. I need to note that Jay made a miraculous up and down, one of the best I have ever seen, from a difficult position in the right greenside bunker to save par. Jay's local knowledge of the course got me off the hook after a couple serious mistakes off the tee. Twice during the round I was right off the tee on uphill doglegs to the right without a view of the green. And twice he pointed me towards the green and told me to hit away, both times leaving me putts within 10 feet.

My highest score of the day was uncovered on the 15th hole, as I topped my tee shot 30 yards off the tee into the desert brush, and continued to flounder my way back in forth across the long par 5 for another 7 shots until my ball finally came to rest in the hole. The 8 was my highest score of the afternoon. Holes seventeen and eighteen provide the most thrilling tee shots on the course as the teeing ground is situated roughly 50 yards above the fairway. 17 is short at 283 yards and gives the player a great chance at birdie - I scored a par after holing a 45 foot snaking downhill putt. Eighteen is long at 420 yards and offers a closing hole that I rate second only to Harbour Town. Our round concluded 3 hours after commencing, making it the fastest round on this trip to date.

Stone Canyon is a must play for anyone who has access, and I rate this course and club as a true private gem - the best private facility I have encountered so far.

Today's Course: The Stone Canyon Club
Score: 86
Handicap: 11.1
Overnight Location: Tucson, AZ
Tomorrow's Courses: The Golf Club at Vistoso & The Gallery South (36 holes)
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: Tucson, AZ

RANKINGS:

I have been asked by numerous people to rank the courses I've played so far relative to one another. While I am fearful this will seem like a horrible "list" episode of I Love the 80's, here goes:

15. North Fulton Golf Course at Chastain Park - just an awful course but playing with a friend helped me enjoy it more
14. Chateau Elan Woodlands Course - A great design, I'm sure, but playing into a 3 club wind all day through a wooded course with 6 foursomes ahead of me making playing through out of the question did not help in my enjoyment of this round at all.
13. The Golden Horseshoe - Like diet lemonade, this course did not live up to expectations
12. Royal New Kent - I love Mike Strantz, but sometimes his designs can become too much
11. Seminole Golf Club - The Florida State course was much better than expected and quite a decent track.
10. Pine Needles Golf Course - site of the US Women's Open next year, this course delivers more in the history department than in the design and golf department
9. North Hampton Golf Course - I loved this course the first time I played it, and played so horribly the second time, it had to be downgraded a notch.
8. St. John's Plantation - I hated this course at first, but appreciated it more the second time I played it
7. Colonial Country Club - I'm sure it will be nice for the Colonial tour stop, but I wasn't overly impressed with the layout.
6. Mid Pines Golf Club - Very enjoyable round set amongst the Carolina pines. Reminded me of Augusta, except open to the public - and women.
5. East Lake Golf Club - Although I played it early in the season, I can see how difficult it will play during the Tour Championship. Great design.
4. Kinloch - The measuring stick for what a club should strive to be
3. The Stone Canyon Club - Desert golf at its finest, and unmatched practice facilities and attention to detail - golf done right.
2. Pinehurst #2 - The course radiates history and commands respect.
1. Harbour Town Golf Links - An incredible layout - serene and calm with teeth bared as you stroll through the palmettos of the South Carolina lowlands. A course to be cherished.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

new content???

12:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home