This is the true story and recorded exploits of 1 tennis professional turned mortician on a 2 month cross-country golf odyssey.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Round #31 - Coeur D'Alene Resort Course

The trip to Coeur D'Alene resort was the most beautiful drive I have yet experienced on my journey. It began with a twisting road through the mountains and Snolquamie Pass. Snow stretched from the white capped rocky peaks to the edge of the road. The weather signaled that winter was retreating but not easily or rapidly. I arrived at a hotel in Coeur D'Alene late in the evening and checked the weather forecast. The high temperature the next day was forecast at 49 degrees. At the start of the round the air was expected to be a chilly 32 degrees. Perhaps the next day was meant to be a life maintenance day. I awoke around 9:30 and checked the weather. No changes but sunny skies were predicted. This would make the round slightly more enjoyable. I headed to the course.

Coeur D'Alene resort is a service oriented facility - a country club for a day resort. Upon arrival, your car is valet parked and your forecaddy (required for the round) meets you with the most incredible golf cart I've ever seen. The Western brand cart looks like a miniature Cadillac without the stereo system and GPS. Wood trim is everywhere, the rims on the wheels are shiny chrome, the cart incorporates a full tilt steering system, there are 2 storage compartments (like the trunk of a car) and an automatic tee dispenser. And this cart could FLY, moving and cutting like a gazelle in route to our next shots.

I was paired with 3 guys who were part of a group of 7 on a golf trip to Coeur D'Alene from Bozeman, Montana. Aaron, Dave, and Eric proved to be some of the best and most enjoyable company of my trip. The 3 played a laid back style of golf that was contagious, allowing me to forget even the worst of shots with relative ease. Our forecaddy Troy navigated us through the green, hilly, tree lined landscape easily - finding balls that were seemingly lost forever. On the 3rd hole it began to hail, leaving the green of this par 3 covered in white pellets and making putting difficult. On the fourth hole the hail subsided and the 4 of us witnessed a miraculous shot (pictured at right with its victorious striker) as Aaron hit driver from the tee to this 278 yard Par 4. His high shot had no chance of making it to the green until the large rock formation in front intervened, and the ball carromed off of rock towards the complex, and rolled to the back edge of the green leaving Aaron with a 30 foot putt for eagle. He made par.

The weather continued to be quirky as snow fell on the 6th hole. By the 9th hole the sun would penetrate the clouds and reign supreme for the remainder of the day. The order for lunch that I placed at the 9th hole came served in a picnic basket, adding another nice touch to the already incredible service of the resort. The signaure hole at the course is the par 3 13th - an island green that floats. The green's movement is controlled by computer and can be extended to a distance of 225 yards or brought as close as 130. Today, it sat 165 yards away from the tee box and I hit my 6 iron to 12 feet. After teeing off we shuffled into the boat which carries players to the island. I missed my birdie putt, but made par. Once back on the boat each player received a certificate with their score on the hole. I told the course representative to give me a 2, Aaron asked for his certificate to read 1. The representative obliged.

All said and done I played pretty good golf at the resort, scoring an 84 and striking the ball well. The course was beautiful and I will now recommend it highly to those who have the opportunity to play. I passed my blog information to my playing partners so that they could read my brief account of the round - Aaron, if you are reading this, post a comment with contact info, your sand wedge was placed mistakenly in my bag.

My enjoyment could only last so long as my journey continued to Idaho Falls that evening, 6 hours away.


Today's Course: Cour D'Alene Resort
Score: 84
Hanicap: 10.8
Overnight Location: Idaho Falls, ID
Tomorrow's Course: TBD
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: Denver, CO

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well kid,
I'm glad you finally found some company as feeble and as great as your old man. Have a great trip.
Love,
Dad

9:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could use a sandwedge, why not. My name ain't Aaron, but that should not matter.

8:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like your trip is going well. We will have to get together and play a round this sumemr.

12:58 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul,
I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the ten days with you in California.

Pebble Beach---Expensive

Bandon, Oregon-Expensive

Ten days with your son

"PRICELESS"

Thanks,
Dad

7:24 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home