This is the true story and recorded exploits of 1 tennis professional turned mortician on a 2 month cross-country golf odyssey.

Monday, April 03, 2006

A Whole Lotta Updates...

Wow, I had no idea that I would not be around an internet connection for so long, and that so many distractions would pop up when I did have connectivity. This has left me with a lot of work to do to keep everyone updated about my trip. I'm going to be brief in my descriptions of the rounds in order to minimize the time spent on posts since I'm very tired from a big weekend in Vegas, and to be more user friendly to those who are not golf enthusiasts. Start from the bottom of this posting and work your way up for sequence. My promises to be more diligent in the future on post turnaround time. Enjoy!

Round #25 - Spyglass Hill

Many golf afficionados claim that Spyglass Hill is the true jewel of the Monterey Penninsula. After playing the Robert Trent Jones, Sr. design, I concur. The course begins on the western side of the Penninsula, playing toward and against the Pacific Ocean and its sweeping winds for 4 holes. On the sixth hole, the nature of the course changes, as it turns back up "Spyglass Hill" and runs through the Del Monte Forest for the remainder of its existence. The Del Monte Forest is exactly how I pictured the Pacific Northwest, with tall pine trees forming a canopy high above the ground and few branches in reach of an outstretched hand. These pines create a feeling of security sheltering you from wind and darkening the intensity of the suns rays from harsh and red to a cool amber.

This is not an easy course, and it plays very long considering the rain the Penninsula has experienced and that most of the holes play uphill. My father and I did not play very well here either and it was reflected in our scores. Frustration overtook my father from the first swing of the club and would not let go until after the round as he hit 4 balls - not one reaching the fairway. On the 14th hole, the rain began. It was not a driving rain but more of a nussiance rain, unsure of whether to gain pace or receed - constantly switching between the two. At no fewer than 10 moments in the round did my father declare that he was finished playing for the day, but a club always seemed to find his hand at the next tee, reinforcing the sadistic lore which is golf and makes it so similarly punishing and addictive. The highlight of the day came on the fifth hole, a par 3 where my father and I both hit shots to within 6 feet. He made his birdie putt and I missed - making this possibly the only round ever where he scored a birdie and I did not. This is now 4 straight rounds without a birdie - quite a long streak and one that I wish to end in glorious fashion at the Stanford University course tomorrow.

Today's Course: Spyglass Hill
Score: 92
Handicap: 10.3
Overnight Location: San Francisco, CA
Tomorrow's Course: None
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: San Francisco, CA

Round #24 - Pebble Beach

The legend which is Pebble Beach lives up to all of the hype. The round, however, almost did not happen thanks entirely to my wonderful attention to detail. We showed up at the course at 9:50 for our 11:00 AM tee time, hit balls and shopped. At 10:50 I told the starter my name and that we were checking in for our 11:00 AM tee time. The starter replied with “we had you down for a 10:00 AM start time." My reaction to this was total panic. I had just mixed up the start time to the crown jewel in my trip. My father had flown all the way from Virginia and now we were not going to be able to experience Pebble Beach. What a moron and what a waste. The starter offered me the opportunity to tee off that afternoon at 2:40 PM - the first available tee time after the last guaranteed to finish starting time of the afternoon. We would have to play fast and get lucky with the pace of play on the course in order to finish up on the storied 18th green. The way the morning had been going I was cautiously optimistic. In the meantime, we had plenty of time to stroll around The Lodge, putt, hit balls at the range, putt, shop, putt and practice putting. We saw John Madden talking on his cell phone in the lobby of The Lodge. My father committed the fauxpas of stopping and pointing. John Madden knows who he is and does not need anyone to help him figure that out. Nonetheless, it was pretty cool.

We teed off at 2:40 exactly, after taking a photo for the internet camera and our own records on the first tee holding a banner which read "Hi Mom!" We received a standing ovation from the female employees of The Pebble Beach Golf Shop, and began our oceanside walk.

The round was slow which gave us plenty of time to take in the beauty of this famed course which hugs the ocean for a majority of the holes. The ocean turn begins on the 4th fairway and the blue waters remain an obstacle to contend with through the 10th hole. Steep cliffs built of black basalt rise hundreds of feet above the sand beach below and support the fairways and rough, and collect many a mistruck ball in the rock harbors below. Neither my father nor I played outstanding golf on the day. Perhaps we were too mystified by the lore of Pebble, or maybe the ocean waves clashing with the rocky shores or the salty smell and tastes became a distraction tempting us to try and focus on golf in such a beautiful arena. The reason for the poor golf will evade me, but the memories of playing this hallowed ground with my father will remain.


At the 17th tee - darkness began to envelop the course as the sun slipped behind the Del Monte pines. We were graciously asked by the group ahead if we would like to finish the 18th out with them. We accepted and began a rapid fire near-darkness hitting session which ended once the last of 6 balls crept into the cup on the 18th green. After replacing the pin, I turned and hugged my father for what seemed like minutes in appreciation and exhilaration for the wonderful experience of the afternoon.

Today's Course: Pebble Beach
Score: 96
Handicap: 10.6
Overnight Location: Pebble Beach, CA
Tomorrow's Course: Spyglass Hill
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: San Francisco, CA

Round #23 - The Links at Spanish Bay

Even while considered the unwanted stepchild of the 3 main Pebble Beach courses, The Links at Spanish Bay is exceptional in its layout and design. Links style courses are designed to be firm in order to allow the ball to roll and shots to travel extra distance. After 2 weeks of non-stop rain, this was not the case. The course measured 6,800 yards, but because the ball would stirke the fairway and stop, it played much longer. Every hole seemed as if I was hitting driver then 5 wood or 4-iron. The wind picked up and seemed to never play at our backs and help our cause. Without my father to accompany me in golf misery, this round would simply have been a conversation piece - a warm up for the main event which is Pebble Beach and was scheduled to comence the next morning.

Today's Course: The Links at Spanish Bay
Score: 95
Handicap: 10.6
Overnight Location: Pebble Beach, CA
Tomorrow's Course: Pebble Beach
Tomorrow's Overnight Location:
Pebble Beach, CA

Round #22 – Los Angeles Country Club

Cancelled due to rain!! My first encounter with rain during a round ended up canceling the round at LACC. Two inches of precipitation poured onto the San Fernando Valley, marring and extending my trip that morning from San Diego to Los Angeles. Instead of stopping at the club, I continued northward to Pebble Beach in hopes of arriving ahead of my father who was flying into Monterey Airport that evening to join me on the West Coast Swing for 8 days. I arrived at The Inn at Spanish Bay 3 hours earlier than expected and 2 hours ahead of my father’s expected arrival time. Once I was shown to my room, I sank into a comfortable chair next to the fireplace in hopes of updating this blog more thoroughly. No more than 2 minutes after sitting down, my cell phone rang. My father, on the other end told me his flight from San Francisco to Monterey had been cancelled due to weather. In 20 minutes I was in my car making the 1 hour 45 minute trip to San Francisco airport to pick him up. We arrived back at The Inn at Spanish Bay at 11:45 and went quickly to sleep in preparation for tomorrow’s round.

Round #21 – Torrey Pines – South Course

In 2008 the U.S. Open will arrive at Torrey Pines Municipal Golf Course. This long track is probably the most revered municipal golf course in the country. I arrived at the course at 6:15 AM and took my place as 18th in line for a tee time. The line moved quickly and by 6:40 I found myself standing on the first tee with 3 playing partners: Ron, a dentist from Detroit in the area for his nephew’s wedding, and Jim and Michael, a father-son tandem from San Francisco in town for a golf tournament Michael had scheduled. At the first green on this still crisp morning, I caught my first view of the Pacific Ocean. The course was in poor shape considering the reputation and time of year. Number 6 is a par 5 which, due to bunker repair, was playing as a par 3. I found this unacceptable considering the fee I was paying, so the hole was played from the regular tee box as a par 5.

Jim, as a golfer was less than spectacular, and overbearing as a parent. His son Michael has the potential to be a very good player should he be able to eschew his father’s criticism and become his own golf critic.

My golf game was sporadic, and my ball striking was not crisp. I had one score on my card greater than bogey but no birdies. The 84 I carded was not terrific, but adequate considering my play. Tomorrow would bring with it play at Los Angeles Country Club and my first overnight stay on the Monterey Peninsula in anticipation of playing Pebble Beach.

Today’s Course: Torrey Pines – South Course
Score: 84
Handicap: 11.7
Overnight Location: San Diego, CA
Tomorrow’s Course: Los Angeles Country Club
Tomorrow’s Overnight Location: Pebble Beach, CA

Round #20 Wolf Creek Golf Club, Mesquite, NV

About 1 hour and 15 minutes lays a true golf gem by the name of Wolf Creek. Built in a low elevation desert mountain range, Wolf Creek offers golf enthusiasts jaw dropping views, shots, and hole designs. Each hole is truly more amazing than the previous. The duo I was paired with on the first tee would create for a memorable round. Scott is a mediocre golfer and really nice guy from Boston. George is a different story. He's a talker and a swearer, and he may have Tourette's Syndrome. He used profanity like Picaso to paint his huge, beautiful canvases of swearing throughout the arrid landscape. George and Scott argued across the desert, up mountain tops, and down in valleys, over how to rake a bunker, hit a drive, and go about a search for lost balls. The entire day George and Scott argued.

I played 8 of the greatest holes of my life and stood on the 9th tee at 1 over par. My double bogey still accounted for a 39 on the front, but I knew in the deep recesses of my brain that the streak was over. A 46 on the back nine left me with an 85 for the day. Score aside - this couse was incredible in its ability to create some of the most fabulous and memorable shots anywhere. This was without doubt one of the most incredible and creative courses I've played.

Today's Course: Wolf Creek
Score: 85
Handicap: 10.8
Overnight Location: Las Vegas, NV
Tomorrow's Course: TBD
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: San Diego, CA

Round #19 - Aliante Golf Club, Las Vegas, NV

The round of golf at Aliante was scheduled not for the quality of golf but for the quality of the company. Lee Crank and Chris Garvey made the flight from DC to Vegas. It was the first trip to Vegas for both of them, Lee's first golf round of the year, and Chris' first golf round in an entire year. The afternoon was overcast and chilly as the 3 of us struggled through this difficult test of desert golf. On the 10th tee, in typical Vegas fashion, we decided to play "Wolf," a golf game which gives every player and equal chance of winning regardless of ability once handicap strokes were assigned. Much to everyone's surprise, Chris took home the $15 pot in dominating fashion.

Today's Course: Aliante Golf Club
Score: 87
Current Handicap: 11
Overnight Location: Las Vegas, NV
Tomorrow's Course: Wolf Creek
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: Las Vegas, NV


Round #18 – TPC Scottsdale Stadium Course

As it turns out, the sudden plans to play the Stadium Course in Scottsdale was one of the most fortunate decisions of my trip. The course is owned and operated by the PGA and plays host annually to the Phoenix Open. I arrived 1 hour ahead of my scheduled tee time – giving myself plenty of time to warm up for the round.

Due to a corporate outing scheduled that morning, all rounds were required to start on the 10th hole instead of the 1st. On the 10th tee I met my playing partners for the round. The 3 Aussies I was grouped with helped create the most memorable round of my Odyssey so far. They had me laughing at the first fairway – after Jim took 8 strokes to hole out, edging Michael out by one swing. The poor display was a result of their exploits until 4 AM that morning. The Aussies had me convinced that Michael was a caddy on the PGA Tour for Mark Hensby. They let me in on their little joke around the 8th hole – it turns out Mark Hensby is from their hometown but Michael has never caddied for him. This fact should have been obvious when Michael had difficulty determining distances, selecting clubs, and reading greens – but I was too oblivious to pick up.

The front nine of the course swings along the rear perimeter of a resort pool. There was a photo shoot on the pool deck with a model, clad in a bikini, facing away from the course. Jim turned the cart toward the pool, parked next to the fence separating the course from resort, moved from the cart to the fence and yelled “Hey, have her turn around! Don’t keep her to yourself!”

Through all the distractions, I finally began to play some golf. My drives were straight and I hit more greens in regulation than I can recall. After 18 holes, my scorecard read a surprising 78 – the lowest score recorded on my trip and in my career. My good fortune today was a good sign leading to the weekend in Vegas.

Today’s Course: TPC Scottsdale – Stadium Course
Today’s Score: 78
Handicap: 11.2
Tomorrow’s Course: Aliante Golf Club
Tomorrow’s Overnight Location: Las Vegas, NV


Round #17 - The Gallery South Course, Tucson, AZ

Next year the Accenture Match Play Championship - a tournament where the top 64 players in the world play individual matches against another player instead of playing against the entire field - will arrive at The Gallery South Course, where it will remain for 7 years. Once I heard this, I knew I had to find the time to add this course to my itinerary. Jay made my tee time happen, and 1 1/2 hours after completing my morning round at Vistoso, I found myself on the tee complex of the first hole at The Gallery South Course. Conditions from the morning changed dramatically - the entire front nine of this course played into a 4 club wind. This means if you have a shot of 150 yards, a nine iron for me under normal circumstances, when playing into the wind you would have to play the shot as if it were from 190 yards, a 5 iron for me, making a difference of 4 clubs. What a pain. I've never played so many consecutive holes into such a strong wind. The conditions became quite a nussiance and left me with a slightly more negative impresson of this magnificent course. Don't get me wrong, the course was amazing but I have to have some excuse for the 90 I shot. I played with a pleasant couple from Seattle named Anne and David, who suffered similar score ailments due to the harsh whipping desert wind. This was the first day of 36 hole play for me and it will not occur again for 2 weeks until I reach Bandon, Oregon. During the round as David and I were speaking about my Odyssey, he asked if I was going to play the TPC Stadium Course in Scottsdale. I was not planning on playing golf the next day in order to complete the 6 1/2 hour drive to Vegas in time to meet my friend Chris at the airport. Once I realized the trip incorporated a timechange in my favor, I knew stopping in Scottsdale was locked. I departed Jay's house early the next morning as he and his partner embarked on their quest for the Stone Canyon Member-Guest Championship. His kindness in hosting me was truly appreciated and I condsider myself fortunate to have seen the best golf the lovely city of Tucson has to offer.

Afternoon Course: The Gallery South Course
Score: 90
Handicap: 11.7
Tomorrow's Course: TPC Scottsdale - Stadium Course
Overnight Location: Tucson, AZ
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: Las Vegas, NV
Round #16 - Vistoso Golf Club, Tucson, AZ

Vistoso is a top tier course in Tucson that Jay was able to get me onto for free - thanks Jay! It requires accurate shots and a good touch around the greens to score well. I played in the morning with 2 older gentlemen named Lester and Gary. Gary was decent but Lester was incredible. The man hit the ball dead straight and long for someone his age. He shot 80, probably a few strokes higher than his age. A respectable score. They were great playing partners to have. Lester was boisterous and Gary reserved. The 3 of us together had an enjoyable round complementing each other's great shots, and providing excuses for the ones gone awry. The most notable event on this round today was my play from the greenside bunkers. My ball landed in a greenside bunker 6 times, and 4 of those instances, my ball came to rest in the hole 2 strokes after hitting the bunker. On one instance, my ball found the hole in 1 stroke - I holed a sand shot for the first time in my golf career - for birdie on the par 3 17th. My score for the day, after a few bad holes, was 88. After play, it was on to The Gallery Golf Club to play the South Course for my second round of the day.

This Morning's Course: Vistoso
Score: 88
Handicap: 11.1
Next Course: The Gallery South Course
Overnight Location: Tucson, AZ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home