This is the true story and recorded exploits of 1 tennis professional turned mortician on a 2 month cross-country golf odyssey.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Round #26 - Stanford University Course

THE GOLF

The weather forecast for the afternoon held just enough optimism to tear me away from my annual tradition of watching Sunday's round at The Master's. After discussing the details with my friend Ed, we decided to meet at the Stanford University Course at 1:30 in time to make the 2:00 Shotgun start. Clouds were looming but there was little threat of rain. We pressed our luck and headed out to the 9th tee to begin our round. At the tee my father and I met Ed's friend Will, our fourth for the afternoon. Will proved to be an excellent addition to the quality of golf, being the only player to card a birdie, and to the quality of conversation as we all spoke easily and freely of family, career, golf, and life.

Walking was the only means of transportation around the hilly course today. This walking took its toll on my father causing him to retire to the clubhouse after 10 holes. Ed, Will, and I were left with 8 narrow fairways and miles of incredibly thick and deep rough to contend with. All said and done, the course got the best of the three of us - Ed scoring a 93, Will a 92, and I ended with an 88. My first score in the 80's in 4 rounds. I am still without a birdie over the last 102 holes - a loathsome streak that I am hoping to end in dramatic fashion in the forthcoming rounds in Bandon, Oregon. My father and I depart tomorrow morning and will budget the entire day to completing the 8 hour trek to this new West Coast golfing Mecca.

Today's Course: Stanford University Golf Course
Score: 88
Handicap: 10
Overnight Location: San Francisco, CA
Tomorrow's Course: None
Tomorrow's Overnight Location: Bandon, OR

FISHERMAN'S WHARF

My father and I ventured to downtown San Francisco briefly the day before the round to take in a quick meal and a few sights. The obvious destination for our journey was Fisherman's Wharf where we ate at an excellent restaurant called Eagle Cafe. The facility had just reopened 2 weeks prior to our visit, the menu was huge, and the portions were even larger. After eating we strolled down the boardwalk along the pier lined with shops, purchased souvenirs and postcards, stopped to get a cookie and went on our way. It was a great quick trip to the area. I was intentionally trying to see as little of San Fran as possible in order to leave plenty of sight seeing for Tracy and I if and when we return to this beautiful city.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

content

10:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

new...

10:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home